Friday, October 3, 2008

Renovation

A few friends and one of my mom's friends (Hi Linda!) have asked to see some pictures from the renovation we did.  I thought I would start posting some pictures of how things turned out. We have now pretty much touched every room in the house.  I'm not sure what room to start with!

I feel that I should give some history about the house and our move here.  When we were looking for houses we told our realtor that we did not want a fixer-upper or a house that we had to do much to.  We had renovated our house in Atlanta (Bryce, with the help of Al, did all of it) and loved it.  A lot of blood, sweat and tears (from me) had gone into that house and it was "ours" in every sense of the word.  It was really hard to leave our home.  However, we had a three-year-old and a nine-month-old and didn't think we were up to another renovation.  The problem is that once you make a home what you want it to be, you start thinking in those terms no matter what you tell yourself!  

So our realtor did exactly what we asked her and showed us homes that were "move in" ready. We looked at house after house and none felt right.  We were getting frustrated.  Then one day, the realtor asked if she could show us a house that she had just sold.  She thought we might like it sense we had talked of liking older homes.  As Bryce and I were walking up to the house we looked at each other and new immediately that it felt right.  Old homes seem to really speak to us.  Of course, that house was sold and not really in the area we wanted to be in but that started our streak of looking at older homes.

When we first saw what is now our home we thought it had a lot of potential but needed a lot of work (unfortunately, we didn't even understand that it need a TON of work).  What we really loved about it was the town we lived in.  On one of our trips up here Grace was riding in the car and said, "This feels like home."  That sealed the deal for us!  

The first year living here was really, really hard.  The house was a mess and it took a lot longer to get the renovation started than we had anticipated.  I cried a lot.  We have lots of crazy stories to tell about this house and the process but that is another post.

I guess what is really important is that now I can't imagine living in any other house.  Our house is our home, and I love it (for better or for worse).


1 comment:

  1. I hate that I have never seen your home. I will...I will...I promise!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips