Wednesday, September 3, 2008

'Twas the night before First Grade.....


We had our back to school celebration tonight.  At dinner we talked about goals for the upcoming school year.  Grace said that she really wanted to read chapter books all on her own and she wanted to improve her spelling.  Harris said that he wanted to play tennis!!!  

For dinner we had Meatball Alphabet Soup.  It was a recipe that I found in Family Fun magazine and was a definite improvement over last years alphabet soup.  Sadly, I forgot to cut out bread for my name!

There are the tiny alphabet letters.  What's wrong with a person when they whip out the camera in the middle of eating dinner?  Crazy.

This afternoon, the children and I made cupcakes and decorated them to look like apples. They were great helpers - Harris handed me cupcakes to ice and handed me the leaves to cut, Grace stuck in the stems and placed the leaves.  I tried a new recipe for the cupcake and icing rather than use my standby Martha one.  Both the cake and the icing were good but not as sturdy and easy to work with.  

Here is my Mom, Grace and Harris about to enjoy a cupcake.  The look on Harris' face pretty much sums up how he feels about my mother.  Adoration.

We finished up the evening reading some back to school books including "The Night Before First Grade." She could hardly go to sleep.  I  cannot believe that our mornings are about to change so drastically.  For 6 years we have had the same routine and now I'm not sure how we are going to survive having to be up, dressed and out the door.  Of course, we will survive but I'm not sure how.

2 comments:

  1. I was so excited about the back to school dinner. It looked great! The cupcakes were a perfect addition to the apple theme.

    Can't wait to hear about the first day.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gran and Grandpa are enjoying this way to stay connected with our family. Anna, your creative and fun spirit is a blessing to our grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips