Thursday, July 13, 2017

Monttisfont, Jane Austen's Home and Hinton Ampner



Once we were settled in the Winchester area, we made our way to Mottisfont.  Originally a priory, Mottisfont changed hands many times over the years, eventually becoming a family home.  This country estate has the most beautiful land around it, it reminded me of Downton Abbey!


Our true destination was its world famous walled rose garden that blooms but once a year in June. The roses were stunning, if perhaps a little past their prime, and it was magical to see so many different flowers blooming at once!






One of the things I've really taken away is how all the gardens we toured were wild and crammed full of material but always, always had structure around them.  In this case, the lavender was amazing.



That evening we went to Evensong at the Winchester Cathedral which was moving and beautiful.  We also saw Jane Austen's burial site inside the cathedral.  It really blows ones mind to contemplate how they built these magnificent cathedrals without modern day tools and equipment.



Our last day was spent visiting Chawton and Jane Austen's home, where she spent the last eight years of her life.  It was here where she had the most success with her writing.  Her brother provided her, her mother and sister with this cottage to live in while he lived in the manor house up the road.



And this happened...


We walked up the road and also explored her brother's estate and gardens.








 On the spur of the moment we stopped by Hinton Ampner and I'm so glad we did as the kitchen gardens were to die for.  While I love and adore flowers, my heart has a giant soft spot for beautiful kitchen gardens.  This one was spectacular, as were the rest of the grounds.








 And that, my friends, is the last of my week in the English Countryside.  Thanks for being so patient with the many, many pictures.  I can't explain enough how much I loved it.  It was glorious.





4 comments:

  1. Someday I will travel to England. I've so enjoyed the photos. Thank you for sharing. Also, if you haven't seen or read Austenland, you should. Silly but with all the love for Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You must go as it is just such a treat. I've never heard of Austenland, I will certainly check it out. I just watched Death Comes to Pemberley (read the book years ago) and I enjoyed it so much!

      Delete
    2. I would suggest reading the book first. It's by Shannon Hale. If you like it, check out the movie with Keri Russell and Jane Seymour. I like Death Comes to Pemberley, but I preferred the Carrie Bebris series of mysteries. I did an Anne of Green Gables tour of Prince Edward Island. It was absolutely beautiful touring PEI. Now I just need to set aside some time for the dream tour of England.

      Delete
    3. I'm so curious to know more about your tour of Prince Edward Island? That's been on my "list" for years and we were thinking of making it happen sooner rather than later. A friend just recommended the new "Anne with an E" on Netflix but did say it gets rather darker than the book or original show. Would love to know any recommendations you might have!

      Delete

 
Blogging tips