Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chocolate Day

(This summer I am going to try to do "theme days" where we focus on something specific for the day. I am borrowing this idea from Katherine whose blog I have been following for a while now. Her theme weeks are absolutely amazing and her beautiful photography is the icing on the cake. She's inspiring, really.)

Our first theme day was Chocolate Day! Since we are soon going to Hershey Park it was an appropriate and anticipation building theme for us to celebrate.

We started a few weeks ago by reading the novel, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. Every night the children looked forward to the next chapter and it was fun reading it as a family!


We kicked off the day this morning with chocolate pancakes and chocolate milk for breakfast. Bryce even added chocolate syrup to his!



We made chocolate playdough- which of course led the children to pretending to be Oompa Loompas making candy for Willy Wonka.



Chocolate milkshakes (with a cherry!) were a much needed cool treat that resulted in some very handsome mustaches. As we enjoyed our milkshakes we learned a bit about where chocolate comes from and how it is made.



We conducted a taste test to determine what our favorite flavors of chocolate were. We stayed pretty basic with milk chocolate, dark chocolate, extra dark and semi-sweet. We made notes about each piece that we tried and then determined what our favorites were. It was discovered that we all prefer dark chocolate! Though if you really look at Harris' notes I think the straight mouth (#3 was the regular dark) indicates that he thought it was just ok. I'm pretty sure he changed his mind at the last minute.



We ended the day with a nice, relaxing soak in... chocolate! I mixed together powdered milk, cocoa, cornstarch and a touch of cinnamon to make a bath powder. The smell in the bathroom was delicious!

7 comments:

  1. Love it love it love it!!!!!! What a day of chocolate bliss! The coco bath and taste test are incredibly amazing. I bet your kids are already looking forward to their next special "DAY"!! Xoxoxoxoxoxox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think every day should be chocolate day! Seriously, the theme ideas are so fun. We're doing "alphabet summer" and themes really provide some fun structure to the summer. I love your blog! (I just found you through Sarah Jane.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea! I love it! We are doing themes this summer too...and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there I popped over from Katherine Marie and just love your chocolate day - it's fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!

    I also popped over from Katherine Marie...My son would be in heaven if I had a chocolate day! What a super idea!

    Take care,
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  6. so neat! Thanks for sharing!! Kelly

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips