Sunday, January 16, 2011

52 Weeks of Giving

{Our family this morning, we made sandwiches for a Salvation Army event}

Over the holidays our family used the Giving Jar as a way to do good for others.  When we pulled out a slip of paper and performed the "act of kindness" written there, it was truly a wonderful feeling and something that we all enjoyed.  Unfortunately, we didn't pull as many as I would have liked.  There are a million excuses (the holidays are crazy for most of us) but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I don't want this to be a once-a-year type of activity.  Thus, I've decided that we are going to perform at least one act of giving a week for the next year.  My hope is that the children (all of us really) can begin to understand that giving to others can be a regular part of life - a habit if you will.

I've made a list of activities that span the year and will act as our "guide" but with the understanding that many opportunities might present themselves throughout the year and occur naturally.  I don't want to be tied to a list that I feel we can't stray from.  That said, many activities will have to be planned and prepared for ahead of time.

It's also important to me that our acts require us to give of ourselves - talents, time and thought - not just our money.  I don't believe that all acts need to be grand gestures and in fact I believe that it is often the little things that make a difference in someones' life.

Is anyone up for doing 52 weeks of giving with us?  I think it would be amazing to do it together.  Katherine Marie is continuing on her random acts of kindness for the next 52 weeks and her list is incredible.  

I haven't included my list but if you are interested in seeing it please let me know and I'll be happy to share.




12 comments:

  1. Bill and I overly enjoy giving free medical care 3 times a week to the people less fortunate than ourselves. Every Tuesday, wednesday and friday we do GYN care at the clinic for about 3 hours. (sometimes thats 10-12 pt a day. It REALLY makes a difference in our lives and hopefully the patients too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Katherine Marie's post also and was so very inspired. We are in! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so cool. I would love to read your list. I love the things you do with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds amazing!! I only have a one-year-old right now, but definitely something I would love to do and want to instill in my child(ren) as he(they) get older! Would love to see your list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never thought of putting the giving things we do on a list. We could do that. It could cause us to come up with a wider variety. Is a call to the old folks in Colorado Springs on the list you have? hint hint

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see all the WONDERFULLY kind and amazing things you do! BIG and SMALL your acts will touch so many lives. THANKS for being such a wonderful source of creative inspiration!!!! :) :) THREE CHEERS for KINDNESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful learning opportunity for your children.

    Can't wait to see what you do!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a Blessed thing to do. What a great thing you are teaching your children. We taught our children this way from a very early age. They are both in their twenty's now and are both still such givers, especially of their time and talents! Really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea. I had never seen Katherine Marie's blog. Beautiful. I hope you'll share your list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this so much. I've thought about doing something like this in the past, but with a 2 year old, I always envision lots of obstacles. I'd love to see your list though, maybe I could get some ideas.

    Now that I think about it, there are still many things we could do even with a 2yo in tow. I'm going to give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited about this!!!
    My kids are pumped!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips