Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Giving Jar


This year I was so completely inspired by Katherine Marie and her advent calendar that I decided to make a Giving Jar part of our holiday celebrations. I wrote different "acts of kindness" on slivers of paper and placed them inside a jar. Throughout the holiday season the children and I will pick a piece of paper and do the task within a few days.

We completed our first task, leaving holiday notes of cheer around town, over two days. I couldn't believe how much joy doing this task brought Harris- he loved it! He happened to witness someone taking his note and he giggled the whole way to the car!

P.S. My Mom cross stitched the frog on the jar years ago, isn't he cute?

6 comments:

  1. The jar is adorable!!!
    I love the frog too!!
    I love activities like this...the drawing is so cute...someone is going to be so happy to find this sweet note!!!
    Spreading Christmas cheer is the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled on your blog today and I love it!! Such fun ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea...Harris is so sweet!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. So COMPLETELY awesome!! I love that little Christmas note and your mom's jar top is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute and a great lesson for your kids. My husband and I always participate in toy drives, giving to charities, etc. during the holidays but I like the idea of getting the kids involved too. Sometimes I like to pick up the tab for the person behind me in the drive through as a little random act of kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!

    Naomi- Welcome, I'm glad you stopped in!

    Nina- That's a great idea! One of our items is to get the coffee for someone behind us but I love the thought to get someone's bill in the drive through because they wouldn't know until you were gone!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips