Monday, October 14, 2013

A Treestump Checkerboard



This tree stump checkerboard is one of those things that I kept meaning to make all summer long and just never got around to doing.  The stump has sat in the children's garden just waiting for me to paint it!  Finally, last week I did.


We got the stump from a neighbor who had left it to be picked up by the county (it's from the hurricane last year) to be disposed of.  We also picked up a smaller log to be used as stools.


Bryce sanded the top of the stump as best as he could, it's not smooth as glass but I had no problem painting it.  In order for the board to fit on our stump we had to scale down the size of the board from a typical 16 x 16 to 12 x 12.  I primed the square using an oil based primer and let that cure for 24 hours before painting the red and black squares.


The painting of the little checkerboards was rather tedious and did take some time, the hardest part being getting the edges of each square! 


I love how it turned out!  For now we are keeping it closer to the house but next year we may move it to the children's garden.  Or not!


 

 

4 comments:

  1. Wow. I am in love with this idea. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons. The stump will get plenty of use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!!!!! What else is there to do ...but LOVE everything about your childrens garden...and your garden...OH MAN!!! I need to learn to keep plants alive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea, I love how there is enough room on the game board stump to place your drinks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips