Happy Columbus Day! Grace had the day off from school although Harris did not. As Grace and I walked to pick up Harris I discovered that Grace had no idea who Christopher Columbus was... indeed she thought he was a biblical character! I realize that Christopher Columbus' voyage to America and his "claim" of the land for Spain can be controversial but I find it a bit sad that she doesn't even know why Columbus day is a federal holiday. Naturally, I turned toward a book to help me explain and discuss who Columbus was and what he did. The illustrations of this book by Peter Sis are really not to be missed.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Columbus Day
Happy Columbus Day! Grace had the day off from school although Harris did not. As Grace and I walked to pick up Harris I discovered that Grace had no idea who Christopher Columbus was... indeed she thought he was a biblical character! I realize that Christopher Columbus' voyage to America and his "claim" of the land for Spain can be controversial but I find it a bit sad that she doesn't even know why Columbus day is a federal holiday. Naturally, I turned toward a book to help me explain and discuss who Columbus was and what he did. The illustrations of this book by Peter Sis are really not to be missed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment