Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Memory Quilt


When the children were younger, I loved buying them clothes for special occasions (I still do that for birthdays!). I also just really enjoyed buying them clothes - especially Grace. An added bonus was that we lived in Atlanta where children's boutiques are plentiful. It was both a place and time when the children's clothes were sweet and precious. I miss those days.

For a long time I had the idea that I would like a memory quilt made of the more special of the children's clothes. I knew that Marilyn, my mother-in-law, would be willing and very able to make one for me, but I just couldn't bring myself to send the clothes off to be cut up. When I finally set out the clothes to be sent I decided that I would rather enjoy them now and for many years to come rather than hope that my children might put their children in them for a few hours just to satisfy me. So I boxed up the clothes and sent them to Colorado.

I had no idea that what Marilyn would create from these precious little clothes would be so extraordinary! It's beautiful. It's a gift. It's my children's baby years.

Each sweet, special detail is carefully preserved in the quilt. I can't even begin to understand what went into making it - I mean, look at the details - but I do understand that it is wonderfully special and that I will love and cherish it forever. For that and more, I sincerely thank you Marilyn!

When I look at the quilt I see...

A Christening in the mountains.

A first birthday.

A special trip to the aquarium before a new brother is born.

A second birthday.

A trip to the beach with dear friends.

A first trip to Grandma's cabin.

An Easter outfit.

A Christmas morning around the tree.

A first trip to Iowa for a wedding.

A favorite romper that matched big sister's favorite dress.

A girl who twirled and spun through ballet lessons.

A trip with family to Hawaii.

A Christmas Eve spent at church and with family.

It's been in the 70's the past few days and the quilt is quite warm. However, I've been under it on the sofa every night and will be until summer (or maybe even then...summer nights can be chilly!).

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is such a treasure. I have saved my favorite pieces and have no idea what to do with them. We have the frog jon jon too and I am so sorry that there is no one else who can wear it. Oh so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It is beautiul and amazing! The details in the presentation of the clothes set it apart from any I've seen. Your MIL is very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have discussed your dilemma with the clothes A LOT...I know you are thrilled with how this turned out. What a special way to remember those treasured times!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. That brings tears to my eyes thinking about those little outfits and remembering being apart of some of them. Where has the time gone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a wonderful Idea and beautiful quilt! I wish I had done this with all my children's baby clothes. They're all grown now with children of their own. I'll pass your post on to them. Thanks so much for posting!!

    Gammy/Tammy

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips