Friday, April 28, 2017

Important Movies


We recently watched Hidden Figures with the children and I couldn't believe how good it was.  Truly, we all enjoyed it and it was something I considered important for my children to see.  Which got me thinking about the movies that I would really like to share with Grace and Harris, not because they are full of adventure or because they are funny, but because they are important.  Important because they deal with social injustice, war, basic human rights for all, working hard toward an end and even movies that simply set good life examples.

Years ago, someone told me they thought everyone should see the first ten minutes of Saving Private Ryan when they turn 18.  He thought it was the closest thing (at the time) he had seen to the true horrors of war instead of the romantic version of war.  I think this can be true of movies, that they get us thinking and dreaming and teach us lessons even as we are entertained.  They are also a good way to show children things they can never experience (adults too of course).

And bonus!  We are to the age where the children can watch most movies, understand what is going on and even enjoy them (though Harris recently informed me that I did not need to make a gasping/hurumphing noise every time someone cursed).

The problem is that we are not exactly caught up on movies as we don't often go to the movies!
Here's my list of movies I want the children to see (some we've already seen) but I'm just positive I'm missing LOTS of good ones.  In fact, as I sit here I can't come up with many at all so if you can think of one you would add, please list them/it in the comments and I can update the list.  Thank you!

Selma
We are Marshall
Rudy
Schindler's List
The King's Speech
Forest Gump
The Passion (I barely made it through this one the first time, so not sure about a second and with my children)
The Perfect Game
The Blind Side
Ghandi (heard it's good but I haven't seen)



13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes! I haven't seen Ruby Bridges yet... will add it to the list. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. That's funny Rudy is on your list! One of my sons teachers recently told us that the character Rudy reminded her of our own sweet boy who is only eight. So we all watched it together and he loved it! he totally related to the character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so nice, such a good character so that's a huge compliment to your sweet one!

      Delete
  3. Nice idea - I've been thinking of Apollo 13, The imitation game, Quiz show, Juno as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe I forgot about Apollo 13! The rest I haven't seen but will check them out for sure!

      Delete
  4. Glory is a must - my 8th grader just saw it in class, and I was so pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? I haven't seen it, will add it to the list. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. So many good movies:
    We Bought a Zoo, Life is Beautiful, Life Animated, Desk Set, Up, The Princess Bride, The Truman Show, Field of Dreams, The Secret of Roan Inish, Dan in Real Life, Paddington, Nanny McPhee. All celebrate love and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for contributing such good movies! My husband would be horrified that I forgot to add The Princess Bride....

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I would also add Remember the Titans and Lucas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Remeber the Titans, can't believe I left it off! I've never heard of Lucas so I'll look forward to seeing it. Thank you!

      Delete

 
Blogging tips