Friday, March 24, 2017

The Making of a Garden


This past fall, we spent time prepping for the new potager garden.  My vision is for vegetables and flowers to grow together in the garden and for it be to beautiful, not just functional.


We chose a spot for the garden that is sort of tucked away but also close enough to the house that we can jot out in the middle of cooking!  I"m calling it the secret garden because, eventually, I would like to grow a hedge along the front hiding the garden from view.


The spot where we've placed the garden was previously field that had been allowed to slowly get overgrown so we've got our work cut out for us getting rid of invasives and spindly, woody plants. Bryce spent a lot of time mowing and cutting to clear the space!



Once we had moved the old chicken coop to its new location (it will be our garden shed) we were able to plot out the garden beds.  We chose to make the beds 5x5, and while they aren't strictly raised beds, they will be slightly elevated as we are adding lots of materials to improve the soil.  Speaking of soil, I did a soil test, acquired from the county extension, and am happy to report that the soil is better than I could have dreamed!


We have 24 squares of garden beds and 4 beds of peonies!  In order to get the beds ready for plants this spring, we decided to do a version of lasagna gardening.  Using our plethora of moving boxes, we pinned cardboard down, then layered leaves, soil and cow manure on top of the compost.  The hope was that by spring the cardboard would have disintegrated while also taking care of any grass and weeds underneath.


I spent an entire day trying to figure out exactly how we were going to plant the garden.  You guys, it's so ambitious for our first year.  I'll be pretty happy if we get some tomatoes and beans!



We have a significant deer problem in our area so there was no question that we needed a deer fence. This was put in a couple of weeks ago and now I can rest a little easier knowing that hooves are not trampling my little buds as they awaken from their winter sleep!







4 comments:

  1. It looks amazing! I'm just happy to have tomatoes and one peony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One peony might be all I get as they take three years to really settle in! I will miss their lush abundance!

      Delete
  2. I cannot wait to see you bring it to life! Love the Kubota shots. My husband is the Northern Division Manager for Kubota Tractor Corporation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Bryce would love to chat about tractors- his love for it knows no bounds :)

      Delete

 
Blogging tips