Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Laundry Room



I really, really love my laundry room.  I love having it upstairs, I love having a sink and countertop, I love having a cabinet with pull out shelves and I love having a place to put my cleaning tools and products.  When we bought the house, the laundry room was already upstairs, which was fantastic, but it was very small.  The washer and dryer fit in the room but that was it.  We realized fairly quickly that we could make the laundry room larger by eating up an odd shoe closet that was in the hallway.


When I first started dreaming about what I wanted the laundry room to look like I kept coming back to Downton Abbey (downstairs) and a Martha Stewart picture from years ago.  I wanted it to feel very utilitarian but pretty at the same time.


It's funny but it took a lot of drawing out everything to figure out the best line up of the washer/dryer, sink, countertop with sorter underneath and cabinet.  This was figured out while we were on our summer trip so many hours were spent sketching it out while driving! I've already written about it but Martha's stain chart takes center stage.



One of my favorite things in the room is the soapstone sink.  It came from a local store that specializes in soapstone and I was thrilled to find it.



My very favorite feature of the sink is the washboard that is on the inside of the sink.  It may never get used but I love the nod to the past.



Underneath the countertop my laundry sorter is a perfect fit and rolls on out when it's time to load the washer.


Of course, it's wonderful to have a window in the laundry room and the extra deep sill is the perfect place to keep a felt basket filled with items waiting to be hand washed.  Above the window is my Sheila Maid that I use for air drying any clothes that I don't throw in the dryer.  I can hang clothes from it or spread sweaters out on the bars.  A pulley attached to the ceiling helps to lower and raise it.


There is a task light right above the sink but I love this sweet, scalloped light!


Bryce made me a little, narrow shelf for above the countertop.  We used brackets that we took from another part of the house.  They are different sizes so we believe they were handmade for the window that they were being used in.  I love keeping something that was a part of the house but in a way that works for us.



 A white basket with a lid is where I store any ironing that is waiting (and waiting) to be ironed.


The laundry room is also where the cat litter box is.  We recessed it down in the bottom cabinet and so far it has worked great for them!


Above the litter box is a cabinet with roll out drawers that houses cleaning supplies, rags, sewing gear, and misc. household items such as lightbulbs, batteries, etc.


The floor tile is a really wonderful, large tile that was the very first thing that I picked out!




6 comments:

  1. I love the laundry room, all of it! I love all things laundry, but....those clothespin door pulls! Be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, cute pulls get me every time!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness this is the best laundry room I've seen. My favourite bits are the sink and clothes peg knobs..LOVE them. The room is spacious, bright and airy..really inviting. I will just go in and purposely do some laundry just to spend time in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really does make doing laundry a little more palatable!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! Anna, this is gorgeous. I have a first floor laundry room in need of renovation. It's small and it was made for the old, small washers and dryers of the past. We've lived here for 15 years, and I've decided it's time to make the laundry room more functional for us. I've been pinning ideas, trying to work with the existing footprint. I just purchased a bamboo ironing board at Homegoods because my husband irons everything. Just the new ironing board makes me so happy. Your laundry room has me swooning and inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We had a cellar laundry room in our last house, and when I finally spent some time to make it a little more functional and nice it was such a better place to be! I love it when something small, like a new ironing board, makes a difference.

      Delete

 
Blogging tips