Thursday, September 15, 2016

Initials in the Barn



The barn at Frog's Hollow dates back to at least 1911 and is in remarkably good shape.  Of course, over the years its usefulness has ebbed and waned but it's still got lots of life in it.  We needed to make a few changes to the barn to make it work for us but in general it will stay as we found it for now.  


Before I write about those changes, I want to share one of my very favorite things about the barn. The carved initials and dates in the walls of the barn are incredibly special.  The penmanship is so very beautiful (not so much the more recent additions).  The writers were using fonts before there was such a thing! 



I've already told my children that before they can even consider carving their initials into the wood they have to perfect their initials and penmanship!  But really, aren't they incredible?  






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips