Tuesday, June 7, 2016

8th Grade Graduation



Yesterday, Grace graduated from the Waldorf School!  We are so proud of her and her classmates. They are an amazing group of young people.  When we moved her four years ago, we hoped, and prayed, that it was the right decision and there has never been a moment where we were not sure that this is where she needed to be.




Grace has been truly blessed with an amazing teacher for four years (at Waldorf, teachers stay with the class!).  Ms. Motter is a master teacher, and while she is very old school, she has been wonderful for Grace and the lessons learned have gone well beyond academics.


At graduation, every student gives a short speech.  I don't think that I could explain what Waldorf has done for Grace better than she did in her speech...

It seems so surreal to be at this point.  I haven't been in this class since the beginning, but it certainly feels pretty close.  When I entered the class in 5th grade, I fell in love with every aspect of the school and everyone in it, and I've never lost that love.   Waldorf has given me things that no other school could offer.  I've gained certain attributes, if you will, since arriving here.  All of the plays, especially this years, has given me so much more confidence, in myself, as well as in my friends.  Working together with my classmates has given me a clear look at the merits of teamwork, and values of having close relationships with people.  By creating art and writing stories, I've gained confidence in my abilities and creativity.  Being challenged to think on my own and push boundaries has given me the gift of an open mind, and I am extremely grateful for that.  On being challenged, Mrs. Motter has been the one to push me the farthest, and she is of the main reason my years here have been what they are.  I wouldn't have come close to having the experience I've had or become the person I am without her.  My time here has molded me into a well-rounded person, one that I would never change.  All the lessons, all the plays, all the class trips, every day has never failed to reward me with new views and opinions on the world I live in, and the people I share it with.  The little moments are what have made it the most memorable.  And if I had to choose anyone to laugh with at jokes that aren't that funny, I'd choose all of you.

Grace's Grandparents, and Gretchen's family, all came to graduation, which made it all the more special.




A note on Grace's graduation dress, Mrs. Motter had strict dress requirements (told you she was old school)!  All dresses had to be below the knee and no spaghetti straps.  Trying to find a dress that fits those requirements, in todays day and age, is surprisingly impossible.  So we went vintage, and I couldn't love the dress that Grace wore more!  I think she looked so lovely and beautiful!



5 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous dresses, both Grace's & yours! What a special experience & celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of the dresses! What a great experience for Grace to have the same teacher for four years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure it could go either way but for Grace it was really wonderful!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips