Sunday, May 22, 2016

Peonies and a Mercury Glass Vase



Years ago, while on a community house tour, I spotted a mercury glass vase with peonies in it and immediately fell hard for it.  As it was a decorators home tour, everything was for sale, but when asked about that one sweet vase, the owner said that was the one thing that wasn't for sale. I've always remembered it.


Last year, while antiquing with a friend, I came upon this mercury glass vase and couldn't leave without it.  With this one exception, all of the vases I use are flea market finds that are usually a dollar or two, but this vase was special and was priced as such.  I hemmed and hawed about whether to buy it or not, but I'm so glad that I did because I enjoy it so.  And my peonies (the first of the season!) couldn't be prettier in it.


Also, can we just appreciate the beauty of these flowers?   I will never tire of peonies.



8 comments:

  1. I am anxiously waiting for my peonies to bloom (another week or so), I am so glad you get to enjoy your before you move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too still have many tightly balled up in bud! I've been trying to figure out how to take my peonies with us :). I've already ordered new ones to plant in the fall!

      Delete
    2. I bet Frog Hollow will have a beautiful garden eventually!! Hopefully you get to enjoy a few more blooms as you pack!

      Delete
  2. Peonies are my favorite flower, far and away, and I've loved seeing your pictures of peonies from your garden over the years of reading your blog. Having moved to Chicago this year, we finally have our own peony plants (they can't grow in Southern California, of course) and I've been waiting anxiously for them to bloom! They're *so* close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will just love having peonies! That is a big move for you! California to Chicago! Hope you held up this winter!

      Delete
  3. I just love peonies. I finally convinced paul to plant some around the yard and am so excited to have them start growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love them! They bloom more and more every year!

      Delete
  4. Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article. I like the way you explain the things. Keep posting. Thanks..flower vases wholesale

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips