Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Septic



The septic.  It was horrible and devastating to the land (and me), but oh so necessary.   Back when we had inspections on the house we were actually hoping that it would fail because this usually means that the seller has to pay to have it replaced, which is a significant cost and not something we wanted to have to pay for!  Fortunately, it failed in every aspect, but we had to wait until the ground was not frozen and the weather was cooperating to get it replaced.


I wish that our septic installer had prepared me for what would be happening to our land. Theoretically, I knew they were digging a hole but I never thought through all the steps and equipment that would be needed.  After seeing my face the first time I saw the mess, he explained that it was a lot like open heart surgery on land.  I little forewarning would have been appreciated!


The old septic was actually just a hole in the ground with a sheet of metal placed across it!  I was very glad to see that go.  There was also a grease trap thing next to the kitchen door and an extra tank underneath the back driveway.  Those also had to be taken out.


The new septic was placed rather far away in the farthest paddock, which is actually ideal because we won't see it nor have a septic mound.  However, it being this far away meant that they had to get all of the equipment there!  Thus, they had to build a dirt road for the trucks and equipment to drive on. Also, they had to take more trees out than anticipated and much of the black fencing down.


The rig driver said that he had never built a hole this large for a septic and honestly, I cannot imagine why we were required to put in such a large septic.  This system seems more appropriate for Highclere Castle, not Frog's Hollow.  I wish there was more scale to this picture, I wanted Harris to jump down in there but we didn't think he could get out or that it was safe!


One of the biggest issues with digging the hole was the tremendous amount of rock and shale that was present.  Once it was out of the hole, it seemed to expand and there was the issue of where to put it since it wasn't going back in the hole nor was it able to be trucked out.


Once the hole was dug, 54 truckloads of sand was brought in to fill the hole.  54.  The asphalt driveway was never meant to support that sort of weight and it quickly disintegrated.





The piping was laid down in the new septic field.  And the old piping by the house was dug up and replaced.





The old tank under the driveway also had to go, which in turn meant that the back yard was destroyed by the equipment.  Bryce had to remind me to breathe.





The operator of all the big equipment kept telling me over and over that he promised to do an amazing job regrading every area he touched.  I didn't believe him even for a second because I just didn't understand how it would ever, ever look good again.  However, I will be the first to say that he did indeed do an amazing job and while it will take a long while for grass to get rooted and started again, I think it will eventually look okay again.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips