Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A (Teenager!) Bonfire Party



For her 14th birthday, Grace asked to have all of her classmates over for a bonfire at the Hollow.  In the four years that she's been at Waldorf, she has never had a party where she invited the whole class, but this year it felt right to do so.


I find teenager parties to be both exciting and scary!  It wouldn't be appropriate to schedule every moment, but it also felt like there needed to be some boundaries.  We came up with a loose plan of going for a winter walk in the woods, a bonfire, chili and music in the barn.



Grace and Bryce set up benches using tree stumps and old wood on the property.  It was rustic, but worked perfectly!


You guys, I could have taken approximately one million pictures because these children are just so photogenic, they look like J Crew models, but I was trying to balance the art of being present but not a nuisance.



Luckily, these Waldorf kids are used to being out in all sorts of weather so the freezing temperatures didn't seem to phase them at all.



We had a very general theme centered around the cold temperatures and the bonfire.  Grace hand lettered the hot chocolate blackboard.



I found this Little Brown Jug on eBay and it is now my new favorite thing.  I don't think it was ever even used (it came in its original box with instructions).  We used our favorite hot cocoa and a full gallon fit inside.  Also, it pours beautifully!


We also served some toppings and homemade marshmallows.


I made a s'more cake that tasted remarkably like a s'more.  The body of the cake was made with graham crackers with a layer of milk chocolate ganache.  We almost had disaster when the marshmallow fluff frosting I made was a total disaster, but a Martha recipe saved the day.  Bryce torched the cake and it looked fantastic!



Also, these blankets are ranking up there as new favorites as well.  Every time I thought about the party, I envisioned the kids having blankets to wrap up in.  However, new wool blankets turned out to be entirely too pricy!  I decided to buy vintage ones on eBay, but I set some parameters so that I wouldn't get carried away.  $15 per blanket was the max and it couldn't have holes, rips or tears.  I couldn't be happier with what I got; the blankets are thick and beautiful!  I have no doubt they will be used for many more bonfires!



We served chili and Fritos later in the evening and the kids moved into the barn to stay warm!


Grace has a wonderful group of friends and she thoroughly enjoyed celebrating with them!




4 comments:

  1. Looks like the perfect teen party! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must just keep pinching yourself! all the fun new elements your beautiful Hollow adds to your already wonderful hostess skills! great party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great teen party! Happy birthday to Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely magical. Happy birthday to Grace!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips