Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Story of our Farm




Ever since the other house fell through, Bryce and I have kept an eye on the real estate market looking for something that spoke to us.  Unfortunately, nothing was coming up that we were interested in and that fit our pretty specific criteria which included, a barn to keep the airstream in, land, an old house/farmhouse and close proximity to our current community. 


When I first got the email of our house being listed, in June of 2014, I knew right away that it was something that we needed to see (I literally gasped aloud when I saw that it had a butler's pantry) and our realtor showed it to us on the first day it was listed.  I loved it and we were very intrigued but we, and our realtor, felt it was significantly overpriced so we decided to wait until the price was lowered.  Months and months went by and the price didn't budge one inch!


Six months after we saw the house, we made an offer that was significantly less than what they were asking but we felt like we might as well put our offer out there instead of waiting.  Needless to say, the negotiations didn't go anywhere!  So we waited some more...


Eight more months passed and the asking price still hadn't moved but we, informally, let the sellers know that we were still around and that our offer was still on the table.  Again, it was a no go.


As you can imagine, by this time we had all sorts of plans and dreams for the property!  I was fairly frustrated with the seller (who had owned the property since 1974) but decided that we needed to move on instead of spending so much time focused on the house and property.  We settled in, again, to staying right where we are.  It was about that time that the seller came back to us with a much improved counter offer and we were able to come to an agreement!  Of course, there are lots of little backstory tidbits, but I won't bore you with those details as the most important thing is that we got the property and couldn't be more thrilled.  When our realtor called us, I actually cried a little, I was so relieved and happy.


It wasn't an easy decision for us to move.  As I've said over and over, we love our current house and community.  Leaving town was a difficult decision as there is so much to be said for walking to town, riding bikes to the pool and being neighbors of friends.  I was so fearful of making the wrong decision and making a mistake!  But sometimes one just has to make that leap of faith and now that we've jumped I couldn't be more thrilled or excited for this next chapter.  Now to name the farm...

7 comments:

  1. From what you have shared it looks beautiful! Butlers Pantry... oh that is the dream! Cannot wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only a butler came with the pantry!

      Delete
    2. If only a butler came with the pantry!

      Delete
  2. You have a place to hitch up a horse! This house is amazing. What a dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tank had to be taken out of the ground right next to the hitch and I was so worried about them knocking it down. They probably thought I was crazy all the racket I made about it!

      Delete
  3. I gasped along with you when I read about the butler's pantry!!!!! How dreamy!!!!! I can't to see all the beautiful nooks and crannies of this house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an amazing story. This house has been yours from the beginning. Can't wait to see what all you do to make it your home. It sounds dreamy!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips