Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Sunflowers



This year, in the back of the garden, we grew gigantic sunflowers!  Once these sunflowers took off they just didn't stop!  It's been fun watching them grow ever taller and observing them swivel their heads to face the sun as it moves across the sky!



In the past, I've had trouble with the birds eating the sunflower seeds before they ever even get to sprout.  My solution was to cover the seeds with a small garden cloche until they sprouted.  It worked!


I decided to cut down a few so that we could enjoy them in a vase but after doing so decided they were best viewed from a distance.  They were incredibly heavy and so, so large that they look a bit silly in a vase (at least the vases I have!).


To celebrate these beauties we made sunflower cupcakes.  Originally, I intended to have chocolate coated sunflowers for the middle, but I couldn't find them anywhere.  Oh well, they were still tasty!



2 comments:

  1. Anna these are amazing!! So magical. Next year can you help me plant a few around the border of the community garden up at church?

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips