Friday, June 26, 2015

Frogmore Stew



I first heard about Frogmore Stew from my friend, Brogann, who's family has a plantation in South Carolina.  Of course, I was interested in it right away because of its name (and because it sounded delicious!).  I love the fact that it is tradition to simply pile all the food in the middle of table and grab what you want to eat!  A one pot meal without a lot of fuss sounds pretty perfect to me.  With the idea that Frogmore Stew might need to become a summer tradition we fixed it last weekend and had some people over to sample.  Turns out that my sister has made this for years but always called it a low country boil.  Whatever the name, it's a pretty fun and casual meal to put together.

There are lots of different variations and it feels very fluid and loose but here's how we put ours together.

Frogmore Stew

3/4 cup Old Bay Seasoning
2 lbs. Red Potatoes, quartered
2 lbs. kielbasa sausage, sliced 
12 ears of corn, cut into thirds
4 lbs. raw shrimp, shell on (peeling is part of the fun)
2 bottles of beer
1 lemon, quartered
the largest pot you have (and it still might not be big enough)

Fill your pot with the two bottle of beer, three quarts of water, the lemon and the Old Bay Seasoning.  Bring to a boil.  Add the potatoes and boil for 15 minutes.  Add the sausage and cook for five minutes.  Add corn and cook for 5 more minutes.  Add shrimp and cook until shrimp are just pink (about 3 minutes).  Drain,  dump on table and dig in!

We also served little bowls of melted butter on the side to dip the offerings in.  My sister made delicious hush puppies that were the perfect compliment to the meal!




3 comments:

  1. Love this! We call it Edistew, but that's because Edisto Beach is our beach. My father-in-law even built a special waist high table with a lip on either side to serve it on. Everyone just gathers around it standing to eat... Some of the best summer beach memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, what are hush puppies? (I'm British so do fill me in!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, I think they are best described as golden fried bread! Usually a mixture of cornmeal, flour and buttermilk and served with seafood. I've only seen them on the menu in the south! They are so good!

      Delete

 
Blogging tips