Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Dinner and a Movie- A Hogwarts Feast


This past January, Harris and I began reading Harry Potter together and just this week finished the series.  I treasure the many hours spent reading to both Grace and Harris.  Sharing with them something that I love means the world to me and as crazy as Harris drove me, begging me to read to him at every turn, I wouldn't change it for the world.


These books are so special to me and now to the children.  To celebrate finishing the books, and in anticipation of watching the movies*, we had a Hogwarts start of term feast!



Except for the roast chicken, which was a store bought rotisserie chicken, we used all recipes from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah Bucholz.  With the exception of Hagrid's Rock Cakes, that Grace made, everything was mentioned in Harry's first feast at Hogwarts.


Hogwarts Feast

Pumpkin Juice
Roast Chicken
Sugared Peas
Glazed Carrots
Boiled Potatoes with Herb Vinaigrette
Hagrid's Rock Cakes


Afterwards, we settled in to watch the first movie.  And now I'm sure I will spend the next few weeks hearing repeated requests to watch the remaining 7!



*I wouldn't allow Harris to watch any of the movies until we were done with the whole series.  Movie images can replace your own images formed from the words in a book and I wanted him to see his own Hogwarts, not the movies.

Also, here are some of our other Dinner and a Movie nights.

3 comments:

  1. Your movie nights are the best ever! Way better than the theatre. You must surely have enjoyed popcorn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this. Such a cool tradition you have! We may have to have a harry potter one soon. Although lucas is far from the age where he will be reading them. Maybe we will just do it for fun.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips