Friday, May 22, 2015

Cookbooks for Produce


As the season for produce from CSA's and home gardens has finally arrived, I thought I would share three of my favorite cookbooks for inspiration on how to use all that fresh produce.


Steven Satterfield's Root to Leaf is my newest cookbook and I'm really loving it.  I read it from cover to cover on our Spring Break trip!  I found that I really enjoy the format he uses in his cookbook; he breaks the book up into four seasons and what's fresh and in season during that period.  I also love  how he starts each section with information about each fruit or vegetable that includes history, differences amongst the various varieties and how to properly keep and store the produce.  The recipes also feel very doable and not overly complicated or requiring ingredients that I have to special order!  I've made a few recipes so far and each one has been a keeper.  Also, I love that the recipes often have a southern twist.  I recently made a rhubarb recipe with our very own harvest of rhubarb!



I purchased Vegetable Literacy by Deborah Madison  last year and have found it to be a good resource as well.  It is divided into sections based on the vegetable.  It too has a ton of information about the vegetable (and the different varieties) along with recipes.  The only negative I've found is that the recipes sometimes call for specialty varieties that aren't growing in my garden or available at my market.  However, I've made some very tasty dishes from this book and consider it valuable to my summer time cooking repertoire.


The Forest Feast by Erin Gleeson is just so fun to thumb through.  For better or for worse, pictures and graphics are very important to me in a cookbook and she nails it!  Her style is so charming and the pictures make you want to make every single thing in the book!  Though we are not vegetarians, I've found it to be great for side dishes and the cocktails are always good.








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the delish and fun inspiration to kick off the summer..Happy Memorial Day!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips