Monday, May 11, 2015

Being a Mom


I love being a Mom.  In fact, I sometimes worry that entirely too much of my identity is wrapped up in being a Mom to Harris and Grace.  I worry about when they leave the nest and I no longer have them home to make special treats for, or dinners to plan, or even carpools to organize.


Already there is a shift in my role as Mom.   Special picture books, themed food and organized crafty activities no longer occupy much of our day. Instead it's school, baseball, ballet, friends and worry.


A whole lot of worry.   Are we doing this right?  Are we giving it enough thought and attention or are we just making it through the day (that's what it often feels like!).  Should we scale back or push more?  Do the children know the value of hard work?  Are they too entitled?  Are they kind?  Do they think of others?  Are they respectful?


Of course, they fail and we fail.  Often.  But that's ok and hopefully we learn from our mistakes.  In the end, I just want our children to be good people with solid morals and character.  I've realized that I don't care if they go to an ivy league school or are protégées in music, sports or dance.  I just want them to know that they are loved and valued and that they can contribute to making our world a better place to live in big ways but also, and perhaps most importantly, in little ways every single day.  I feel like perhaps that's my most important role as a Mom and I'm so honored to be able to work toward that end with Grace and Harris.  My prayer, always, is that I can be up to that task and do right by these beautiful children that are mine to raise!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Anna, "In the end, I just want our children to be good people with solid morals and character. . . I just want them to know that they are loved and valued and that they can contribute to making our world a better place to live in big ways but also, and perhaps most importantly, in little ways every single day." I feel the same way. Thank you for writing these words.
    Happy Mother's Day!
    Lauralou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! Your children are so lucky to have you as a Mama! Your words struck a chord with my heart today. I think you summed up the trueness of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies, it's so nice to have a community of like minded Moms. I hope you had a wonderful and special Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very well said! You are an awesome mother!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips