Friday, April 17, 2015

Monticello


After we left Charleston, we headed up to visit Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson.  Ever since I saw pictures of the kitchen garden I've long wanted to visit his estate.  I was surprised at how much we enjoyed the visit.  Harris, who wasn't thrilled with the idea of a house tour, pronounced in the middle of the tour how cool and interesting it really was. So I counted that as a win.


Besides the house tour, no pictures allowed, we went on a "about slavery at Monticello" tour which I think was educational for all of us.  Though it's not a proud moment in our history, it is our history and I think we can't make changes unless we openly and honestly talk about our past.  The picture below is of Mulberry Row and a reconstructed cabin where up to 10 slaves might have lived!


Even though the gardens were barely getting started for the season, I very much enjoyed wandering the amazing kitchen garden.  I want to be sure to go back at a time when it is in full swing.






The family burial plot is actually still in use by the family.



1 comment:

  1. It would be great to visit there. The garden setting is beautiful; high with a view! That one strip looks like grass? This could be Harris' budding interest in history!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips