Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Thankful



I always am fascinated how one minute you think you know how things are going to go and the next moment everything has changed.  On Sunday evening, just as we were about to start getting settled down for the night, I learned that my Mom had fallen in her home.  From there the night extended into an all nighter and ended only after my Mom had gotten settled into a hospital room at a trauma center.  My Mom, my sister and I have spent the past three days in that very room listening to various nurses, doctors and therapists talk about brain injuries and recovery.   As I walked down the halls of the hospital I was struck by how truly fragile these bodies of ours are.  They break so easily and yet we demand so much of them.

I'm thankful that we are surrounded by, and have access to, such good medical care facilities.  I'm thankful for medical staff that are caring, knowledgeable and patient.  I'm thankful that my sister now lives near by.  I'm thankful that my Mom is so fiercely independent and yet is willing to make new adjustments to her day to day routine.  I'm thankful for friends who sent encouraging texts, took over carpool duties or watched over my children since it just so happened that Bryce was traveling for work this week.  Most of all, I'm thankful that Mom is now home and is expected to make a full recovery.

7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about this accident but happy to hear she is back home and doing fine. Hope you are doing well also with all the stress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a praise! It's so scary aging, and with that, watching our loved ones age as well. So thankful that your mother is expected to be okay. Thinking of you & you're family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful...and so glad recovery is underway. Sending positive thoughts your way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, I am praying for you and your Mom. How blessed she is to have two daughters nearby to support her. Please make sure and take some time for yourself - even if it is just a few deep breaths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We join you in your thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Happy to hear your Mom is going to be ok. Good Thoughts being sent your way as you help her recover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry... That is scary! I hope her recovery is quick.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips