Thursday, January 29, 2015

Dinner and a Movie + a Book (Holes)



I have several beloved children's chapter books and Holes, by Louis Sachar, is one of them.  This book never fails to blow me away by the incredible plot connections, characters and twists that the story gives the reader.  Everything about this book is just so well threaded together!  It was always one of my favorite books to teach and I couldn't wait to share it with both the children.


After Harris finished the book, he really wanted to watch the movie which, incredibly, I had never seen!  We had a dinner to go along with our family movie night which included homemade canned peaches (Sploosh) on pork tenderloin, a baked onion (from atop "God's thumb"), canned green beans (they only had canned food at "camp") and a cherry cake that we pretended looked like holes dug in a dry lake bed!




5 comments:

  1. Looks great! Is there a link to the cherry cake recipe? I'm a cherry fan. Have a carrot cake for Al queued up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn- click on the pink link for cherry cake in the post and it should take you there. Carrot cake sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. That was dense of me to overlook it. The recipe looks rather like a cobbler which is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that book. I always read it to my students when I was in a classroom. Love how you make books your kids read extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your book/movie-themed dinners & look forward to recreating some of them for my kids as they get older. You are so creative & detailed. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips