Friday, December 5, 2014

Favorite Things #45


I use a lot of olive oil.  A lot.   Growing up I don't ever remember my Mom using olive oil and so I'm not sure at what point I discovered its wonders, but it usually features in my cooking on a daily basis. Now that we've been off dairy for Harris, I've been using olive oil in the place of butter and it's worked beautifully!

(I always decant my olive oil)

This past summer, Bryce brought home an olive oil that a colleague brought him from her families vineyard in Italy and I couldn't believe how good it was!  It quickly became clear I had never really had great olive oil!  This prompted me to start doing a little reading and research where I discovered that many olive oils that consumers use are actually mixes of various oils and not virgin olive oil at all!  I was dismayed to learn that my regular olive oil was on the "fake" list!  It was about that time that I spotted California Olive Ranch in the grocery store and liked that it was from the US and that it was affordable (I also liked the bottle)!  I bought it without reading any reviews or doing research, but was pleased to later learn that it's a highly recommended olive oil and featured on the lists of "real" olive oils!

I love this olive oil!  It has a very clean, distinct taste that we love and I can't imagine going back to using the bland, tasteless olive oil that we previously used!

P.S.  I would love to have an olive oil tasting party like this one.  Who's in?

4 comments:

  1. Costco has a fabulous and affordable olive oil as well. They are the largest importer of wine and so they get a deal on the oil. My husband lived in Italy for a few years and he thinks it is a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I had no idea that there was fake olive oil?! I am going to have to check out this brand. Thanks for the recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there some way to get the name of the Costco olive oil from Anonymous?

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips