Friday, September 12, 2014

Life with Children



This week has been all about getting back in a routine; homework, bedtimes, baseball, ballet, making lunches, setting alarms, etc.  The children have settled right in but I'm having a hard time with the fact that the children are getting so old (do I say that every year?).  There is so much I want to do with the children, both experiences and character development- but sometimes I get to the end of the day and wonder what I did that made a difference.  


Decisions now seem to be rife with long term implications!  Should Grace be allowed to text? Should Harris go to manners school since he still sometimes uses his fingers to eat and why hasn't our effort to eat at the table together every single night made a difference in that?    How should the children earn money- allowance or chores?  Have we worked hard enough to instill a really good work ethic in them (probably, no)?  Have we worked enough to combat entitlement and should we have bought that bike for Harris even though there was no special occasion except that he needed a bigger bike?   Do I fight this battle or wait for the next?  Which one is more important, cause they all feel important? The world is a big place and we haven't exposed the children to other cultures and ways of life enough, how do we do that?  And how do we fit in volunteer time?  Should we be pushing more or less in academics?  If Waldorf is so amazing for Grace why haven't we moved Harris?  Are the children going to be good, kind, considerate citizens of this world?  I could go on and on and on....


Please tell me I'm not the only one who sometimes feels that I'm running out of time to get it together and that everyone around me already has it together.

P.S.  These are just random photos that show up on my phone- selfies I suppose!

6 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. You are not alone. I think it really is much harder today than it was years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone!! I struggle daily. I worry about everything from...Did my kids say thank you? Did I teach them to respect elders enough? My kids see my mom all the time and I worry they take her for granted, when they see their other Gram its usually a "special occasion". My daughter is on two soccer teams, she loves it and its a strong player, but is it too much? She is almost 10! Do I read to my young one enough? Screen time? Chores? These are just a FEW worries I have in this parenting journey!!
    My guess, from your beautiful blog..is you are doing an amazing job shaping two kids into two great people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Anna, You are SO not alone!!! None of us has it all together despite what it may look like from the outside, and I want to thank YOU for sharing your thoughts because I could easily peg you for being the one who really does have it all together. :) By the way, let's talk about the texting thing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! I appreciate your supportive words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, it is nice to know I am not the only one who ponders each decision like this. It is truly exhausting and you see as they are getting older how somethings you have instilled really stuck while others have not and then you questions the whole lot! You start thinking that things you are doing are counterproductive and there is so much that they need to learn. I suppose they will learn it somehow when they need to? Or so I tell myself. And yes, in todays world there are so many different considerations, technology, the glorification of busy, manners, ethics, entitlement, I could ramble on for days. You are amazing parents and they know you love them, that is what matters most!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get daily ideas and methods for earning THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day ONLINE for FREE.
    CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips