Friday, September 26, 2014

Carrots + Hummus



Over the past couple of weeks, we have immensely enjoyed our carrots from the garden.  When we are in need of a carrot, or two, or three we simply go out to the garden and pluck one up!  They are so delicious!   My carrots are wonderful in their quirky looks- some are short and fat and some are crooked, long and skinny!  To be honest, I'm looking at food a lot more critically of late (see last post) and I have to wonder what makes our food so "perfect" looking.  It worries me, but it also makes me more determined to grow more vegetables!


I think the perfect compliment to carrots is hummus.  I love it and can't get enough.  Years ago, I made this hummus for one of Bryce's work events and his boss loved it and declared it "perfect," which was a huge compliment since his boss certainly knew his way around hummus.   The recipe is from an Ina Garten cookbook and the only change I've ever made is to not add as much garlic as she calls for.  However, I think it's purely dependent on the garlic you use and pure preference.  Of note, this hummus isn't particularly smooth or thin like what I've bought in the store, rather it's thick and substantial.  If you make it, I sure hope you love it as much as we do!


Hummus

2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and liquid reserved
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup tahini
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoon liquid from the chickpeas (if you forget to save the liquid like I always seem to do, water works just fine)
8 dashes Tabasco sauce (or to taste)

Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips