Thursday, July 24, 2014

Colorado, Part 4



Hello there! It's Grace for my last post on my Colorado adventures! On Wednesday, we drove to the station from which the Royal Gorge Route train would depart. We boarded the train and Grandpa got us seats in the Vista dome. It was nice- cushy, velvet seats, food and drink service, big curved windows! The train didn't go really fast, but it was a nice pace and fast enough not to be boring. I ordered a root beer, and Grandpa and I shared chicken nachos. They were super good! Along the way, we passed under the Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge. My favorite thing was the old pipeline that ran along the other side of the river. I absolutely love old, abandoned, broken down, and forgotten things; so this was right up my ally! I got a lot of pictures. We also passed some old shacks.



The pipeline.



A metal cage the pipeline ran through over the water.


My favorite picture. The waterline tunneled through the rock! I don't know why, but seeing this forgotten, lost pipeline made me really excited and you can ask my Grandparents; I wouldn't stop talking about it!


I got some yummy Lava Cake for dessert.





The next day, we woke up early and went to Academy Riding Stables near Garden of the Gods. We put on our helmets and jumped into the western saddle!  I've only ever ridden English before but I've always wanted to ride western. I rode a beautiful roan, Comet. She was a great horse and besides riding close and sniffing around Jester's (Gran's horse) rump half the time, she was awesome! We did some "rock climbing" with the horses, which I must admit they did quite well on. There were a couple of slips and one lady lost her glasses, but it was otherwise smooth. Our guide was also nice. At the end, we returned the horses to the stable and went home. That night, we had some homemade cherry pie and ice cream. It was to die for. Gran always makes the best!






And now, I have to wrap it all up in an awesome Colorado flavored burrito. I had the most amazing time in colorful CO and getting to spend that much time there was truly a blessing. I have to thank Gran and Grandpa endlessly for being the greatest Colorado grandparents in the world! You guys are awesome, and I'm so glad that you got to share your state with me! I also have to thank my family for letting their daughter get on a plane by herself, for 3 hours, and leave them alone for two whole weeks! Colorado is an amazing state, and I was sad to leave it behind, but hopefully I will be back at its doorstep in no time at all!



1 comment:

  1. What a great trip! Looks like a lovely time. I bet your grandparents were sad to see you go!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips