Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Start of a (Small) Vegetable Garden


For a while now, Bryce and I have wanted to make a small vegetable garden.  Every year it's been on the list of "to dos" and every year spring is so busy it gets pushed right off the list.  However, this year when Al and Marilyn came to visit we got it started!


One of the hardest parts was simply figuring out the layout of the garden.  I wanted a small garden that was manageable and contained.  Also, I wanted to fit in some flowers for cutting.  Therefore, we put two raised beds in the center of the garden with beds all around the perimeter for flowers, herbs and a vegetable or two.  The lawn in front of the shed made the most sense for the garden as it gets great light all day and isn't a high traffic area that the children play in.  Also, I love how the shed and it's climbing rose is a lovely backdrop for the garden!


Bryce and Al rented a sod cutter to take up all the sod on the lawn where the garden went.



Once they built and placed the beds, they put landscape covering down where the pea gravel was going to go.  I wanted pea gravel to help tie in our area by the house that also has pea gravel.  Plus, I like how it looks!


We also put a thin, metal edging around where the gravel and the outside beds would meet.  We had garden topsoil delivered (so much dirt to move!) and filled all the beds with new, lovely soil.  It also gave me great pleasure to spread my very own compost into all of the beds!  In a coming up post, I'll detail what we planted!


Also, we must figure out a fence.  I live in fear that a bunny and/or deer will take out the garden while we sleep!  We have two options- a wooden fence that Bryce would build or an old wrought iron fence that is really quite lovely.  I just can't decide!  Any thoughts?

7 comments:

  1. looks beautiful :) Can't wait to see it with plants. We have two raised beds. We've spent a few Summers figuring out what grows well in Montana and what doesn't. Our strawberries were picked off by the wildlife almost entirely last year :( It is a lot of fun to see what works and what doesn't. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we are going to have a year or two (or three) of trial and error! I got a little over excited and bought more than can fit in my two beds! My blueberries get eaten by birds every year, even with netting, and it makes me so mad. I feel your strawberry pain.

      Delete
  2. i vote no fence. i have three similar raised beds surrounded by pea gravel. and yes i do have a bunny problem in the spring that keeps me worried. But i've learned coffee grounds (repeatedly sprinkled) keeps them away.. and ive learned what they like (my peppers) and to move them to safer areas. keeps me on my toes. i have had the deer completely eat off flowers in the potager garden.. so i plant ones they don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought of no fence at all, but it's definitely something to ponder! I do have it in my head that I want a sweet little gate! Thanks for the coffee grounds tip- we have plenty of grounds to go around and I didn't know that it deterred bunnies. Also, I love that you call your garden a potager! I informed everyone in my family that that's what we were going to call ours and then we spent the week trying to figure out exactly how it is pronounced!

      Delete
  3. It looks fantastic! I love the pea gravel! And by the way I love love love your shed behind. I can't wait to see what you are growing. It looks really lovely. I like the idea of the handmade wooden fence, however a wrought iron one would be beautiful and might last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna!! I love it!! Are you surprised!? :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips