Monday, June 23, 2014

Rhubarb



I had my first taste of rhubarb years ago when I was visiting my in-laws for the first time in Iowa. Marilyn made a rhubarb pie and it was so, so good!  Even though I loved it, I haven't really done much with rhubarb until this year.  I'm trying harder to enjoy the harvest of each season and so while rhubarb was readily available at the market this year, I stocked up and got to baking, canning and stewing!


By far, my favorite thing I made was this Rhubarb Rosewater Syrup.  It tasted like roses and was delicious on ice cream, atop yogurt, on waffles and in Champagne or Seltzer Water.


I loved the syrup so much that I also canned a rhubarb syrup (from Food in Jars) that is also totally delicious! I didn't add the rosewater because it makes me nervous to mess with canning recipes, but I don't honestly know why a touch of rosewater would change the cannability of the syrup.  Anyone know?


The syrup is absolutely delicious in all sorts of drinks- from Prosecco to plain Seltzer water to Rhubarb Mojitos.  And you really just can't get a prettier drink.  Am I right or what?



I can hardly think of rhubarb without thinking of Patricia Polacco's book, My Rotten Red Headed Older Brother.  I've had this book since well before children (my Mom got it for me my first year of teaching) and it's still a favorite!





1 comment:

  1. Wow you have been busy! It all looks great! Maybe I should plant some next year!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips