Monday, June 30, 2014

Dinner and a Play- The Secret Garden



As we make our way through the classics, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgsen Burnett was well overdue for a read.  This is the perfect time to read it as we have just gotten our own garden growing!
I was a little worried that it wouldn't capture Harris' attention, and while it wasn't a "can't put it down" read for him, he did enjoy it and loved the character Dikon.


We had an opportunity to go see a local production of the Secret Garden (it was a musical) at an outdoor venue and though it wasn't nearly as good as the book, it was an enjoyable evening and fun to compare and contrast the book and play.  I also plan on watching the movie with the children as I remember it being a lovely movie with great scenery (I could be dead wrong on that one- I was a kid when I watched it!).


Before the play, we took along a picnic and enjoyed our dinner out of doors on a beautiful night!


In fitting with the theme of the book, I made little chocolate pots with mint sprigs for dessert.


P.S.  Here's some of our other dinner and a movies...
 


2 comments:

  1. I loved that book and movie when I was a child also! What a perfect summer read.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips