Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Mustache Cake



Grace had a lovely birthday spent with her family!  In two weeks time, she is having two of her best friends over for a sleepover to celebrate, but we celebrated her actual birthday with family joining us for dinner and a mustache cake!  As you may remember, Grace loves mustaches so it was a natural choice to make her cake in the shape of one.  This was the first year that Bryce and I didn't stay up late into the night making Grace's cake!  Instead, I made it during the day and Grace was around to watch it get iced.  However, it didn't get finished until after the sun went down so I'm pretty unhappy with the pictures.  Natural light just can't be beat.


It was an easy cake to put together since it only required one cut down the middle of a round cake.  We chose to pipe on the dark chocolate buttercream, but it could easily be "combed" with a fork.  I had every intention of mixing in sprinkles to make a "funfetti" type of cake, but I completely forgot to add them to the batter!


To help liven up the cake, we used cute Happy Birthday candles that I found at Target.  I word of warning though- they melt really quickly and there is a good chance that by the time you finish lighting them all, the first few letters will have already disappeared!







2 comments:

  1. This put the largest smile on my face...ever! I have a mustache loving girl too! Chelsea! She wore a mustache to her basketball game last week...and never took it off! I was laughing the whole time! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake literally had my mouth watering. It looks large! I simply MUST send Grace a photo of Grandpa Al with the huge mustache he sported in the '80's! Wonder how she developed a fascination for them.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips