Friday, March 28, 2014

A Bourbon Barrel Lazy Susan


One of my gifts to Bryce this past Christmas was a lazy susan bourbon barrel lid (try saying that three times!).  Bryce saw a similar wine barrel one at a friends house and commented that he liked it, so I thought it would be fun to have one from his favorite distillery from our Bourbon Trail excursion.  After doing a search online, I found some that were very expensive (and lovely) but they didn't have the particular distillery I was looking for nor did I want to spend that much for one!  I was thrilled when I found an affordable one that also allowed me to request a lid from Buffalo Trace!  However, as soon as it arrived I realized that this was a case where you get what you pay for.  The lazy susan mechanism was a total mess, and an obvious case of someone throwing something together in their basement. In addition, the boards had been glued together with the exact wrong sort of glue that should have been used (they used an expanding glue that then oozed all over the other boards!).  In other words, this was a gift that kept on giving since Bryce had to basically remake it!  


The lazy susan has sort of floated around since we haven't been sure where we wanted to keep it, but lately it's found a home in the middle of our kitchen island.  It's nice to have everything clustered together and easy for arms to reach when sitting at the island.  

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Chanced upon your blog a while back and have been reading it ever since. I love your blog because it shares such nice, creative projects and activities which I just enjoy reading about. And your family is just so lovely as well :)

    BTW, I couldn't help noticing the lovely blackboard calendar in the background...may I know how how you crafted that please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a nice comment! We love our calendar! It's actually from a company called Sticks Furniture. We were able to choose everything about it so it's very special to us. It was a bit of an investment but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely, he must have done a great job "fixing it". We gave one from Pottery Barn to my in laws a couple years ago for Christmas and it seemed to be pretty well made. I bet it is really handy to have in the middle of the table.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips