The children always enjoy giving their Grandparents Valentines, but this year we got to it a little late which means that the Grandparents who live in Colorado will be receiving belated Valentines (sorry Al and Marilyn!). We kept it simple and 100% kid doable by making Thumbprint Cookies. We added our own twist by using thumbprints on each cookie to form a heart.
I think this is such a sweet Valentine since it doesn't have to be perfect and literally has the children's prints on it!
Thumbprint Heart Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
strawberry jam (we used maybe 1/2 a cup- if even that)
1. Cream together the butter and sugar for several minutes, until they look light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and beat until combined.
2. Mix together flour and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet and beat until smooth.
3. Form balls from the dough, place onto a parchment lined baking sheet, then use your thumb to make two indentations to form a heart. These will be very irregular and imprecise but that's part of the charm!
4. Put strawberry jam into indentations on your cookies. We popped our jam into the microwave for about 10 seconds before we put it into the heart indentations to make it a little easier to work with.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes but don't let them brown. Let cool completely.