Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas Magic


The other day Grace commented that she didn't want to become a teenager because "they don't believe in Santa or other magic."  She then went on to say, "I want to believe in Santa."  To me that is at the heart of Christmas magic, believing in the idea of something that might not make sense or something that doesn't quite seem feasible like Christmas miracles, Santa or a universal feeling of good will that lasts for just one day.


This year, for the first time, I didn't do the Advent Calendar with the children.  I made the decision because it was something that I had started dreading.  For me, it felt as if it was one other thing to fit in in an already busy season and after ballet practice, school, homework and dinner I sometimes simply couldn't find the time.  Also, I have to admit that the last thing I wanted to do was give the children a treat every day during a month where they are going to be getting lots of treats.  The children have so much they don't need a daily "gift."  Our advent calendar usually consisted of a lot of family experiences too and I've found that we've still done many of them but when we could fit them in.  I know this sounds very Grinch like but I've found that it's been ok.  No one seems to have missed it, the magic of the season has not disappeared, and I'm much more relaxed instead of trying to create this magical, beautiful Christmas for everyone.  In fact, I've discovered that Christmas is magical without me creating anything at all!

I'm curious.  How is everyone feeling about Christmas this year?  Flustered?  Relaxed?  Ready?





2 comments:

  1. I totally understand your feelings about the advent. In fact, I almost did the same thing this year. If it weren't for the fact that my youngest is only 4 and honestly I was feeling guilty for not trying to make it as lovely as I had all those years for my oldest. Ugh Mom guilt. I am glad I did it anyway, we are using little wooden animals this year and I think it will be something my youngest plays with for a long time. It seems Christmas just flew in upon us this year. Whew. Curious, does Graces school do the advent spiral? I think those are so cool. I would love to find a group of kids and facilitate one some year here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah! Yes, Grace's school does celebrate the advent spiral (though I didn't know that's what they called it!). For the month of December they gather every Monday for a special assembly to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips