Monday, November 11, 2013

Pink and Say



Today, on Veteran's Day, I want to share what is perhaps my favorite picture book ever!  I love, love, love this book.  It's easy to assume that picture books are best for young children and, of course, they are wonderful but they can also be great for older children.  In fact, I didn't share this book with Grace and Harris until recently.  Patricia Polacco is an amazing author and we enjoy lots of her books but Pink and Say has a special place in my heart.  My only problem with this book is that I simply cannot get through it without crying!


There is so much to be pulled from this story about two boys, both fighting on the same side in the Civil War, who develop a special and unlikely relationship.   This is a story about friendship, love, family and courage, and it has some pretty heavy themes in it such as racial tensions, death, and violence. One of the things that make this story even more powerful is that it is a true story that has been passed down through Patricia's family.  I cannot imagine not having this beautiful and deeply touching story in our library and I highly recommend you read it.



5 comments:

  1. I love this book as well. Polacco is one of my all time favorite authors. She is a genuine storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding it to our wish list now! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is one of my favorites as well! Don't feel bad as there are very few of her books that I can make it through without tears. I always loved reading "Thank You, Mr. Falker" when I was teaching because I always had a student who struggled with reading. I love Junkyard Wonders as well. Both have me in tears everytime! ; ) Reading Rainbow did a beautiful segment to go along with her book Rechenka's Eggs. We like to watch it around Easter time. It is mesmerizing watching her paint the eggs and listening to her talk. Of course, I could also listen to her reading Thunder Cake a thousand times with her Russian accent. Can you tell I really related to your post today?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I love this book. I love all of her books but this is my favorite. I always read it to my 4th grade when we are studying the Civil War. I NEVER get through it without crying. So many of her wonderful books tug at your heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have told you this before...but you are my number one source of children books....every one you recommend is a winner!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips