Friday, November 1, 2013

Carving Pumpkins + Pumpkin Bread Bowls



One of our traditions around Halloween is to go pumpkin picking and then carve them one evening.  We got our pumpkins a week ago, but didn't carve them (with the exception of the Airstream carving) until Wednesday night.  As the children have gotten older they have gotten quite adept and comfortable at handling the carving tools (though Grace did get a small cut) and they enjoy designing their pumpkin's face.


 


I've also always made an effort to have something for dinner that involves pumpkins and this year I tried Pumpkin Bread Bowls again (I tried them several years ago and they were a complete failure).  They turned out darling and were really easy.  I served pumpkin soup in them, but would probably go with Butternut Squash Soup next time as it was just ok and not delicious.  I used this recipe for the bread bowls and only made 5 bowls instead of the 12 the recipe called for so that they would be entree size and not too small.  I added food coloring during the mixing stage and set a side a bit of dough to color and attach the stems.  




4 comments:

  1. SO cute! Love the pumpkin bowls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness... I LOVE these bread bowls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed you have a carving kit, I thought it was Martha Stewart, but I can't find one on line, and even on her own site she list another company to buy carving tool. Can you tell me about yours? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kimberly! Yes, it is a Martha Stewart kit that we have had for as long as I can remember. I don't believe that it was from her catalogue of old, so I think that I must have gotten it at Macy's. I also searched on the internet for you but I kept coming up with "no longer available" links. Sorry I can't be of more help to you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips