Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cleaning


For the past couple of years, we have had the luxury of having a lady come and clean the house every other week and I have loved it.  Really, really loved it.  However, I have lately started feeling that our children should be learning to clean and take care of their own home.  Not only do I want them to know how to actually clean bathrooms and bedrooms but I want them to be invested in taking care of their things.  I want them to know the rewards of working hard to keep something nice and feel the pride that comes with getting work done.  If I'm honest, our children don't have to work very hard around our house.  Yes, they certainly have chores every day but we don't live on a farm where there are endless chores that must be done and cleaning our home is one area where I feel they should and can help.  I really want to emphasize that this is just what I feel is good for our family.  This break just feels right for us now- we certainly may eventually go back to having a cleaner at some point (every cleaning day I wonder if it's been long enough for them to have learned a lesson!  ha!).


Once we made the decision to have the children help clean, I knew that I wanted to be more careful about the products they are using.  The Honest Company had a sale that I took advantage of and bought some products to try out.  It makes me feel better knowing that the children aren't breathing in toxic fumes as they clean!


P.S.  I'd love to know how everyone handles chores at their house.  We cannot seem to get a smooth and reliable system going!

4 comments:

  1. I struggle with this one as well. I feel like the kids should be doing more. I would love to hear what you think about the honest products after you have used them for awhile. I have been using Shaklee cleaning products for the same reason and am pretty happy with them, but I am always open to new ideas. Ezra is in charge of making his bed everyday and unloading the dishwasher. When we got teh chickens, he became responsible for letting them out in the morning and putting them up at night. Other than that, there are not a lot of chores. I want to incorporate more! I love the detail you have written down for them! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I am not there yet. I relish every second that the housekeeper is here. However, when we move back to the states it will not be the case, so I am enjoying it as much as I can now. I'll be sure to see how you do it when we get to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chores are hard! I don't have a cleaning lady...for some reason I don't love it! But I use too...and it does leave alot more work to be done! My kids all pitch in..but I am a terrible delegator..I have to get better at it! But what does work around here...is we all just work together! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips