Monday, September 23, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars


Happy Fall everyone.  This is one of my favorite seasons and it somehow always ends up feeling like the shortest season of the year! This year we are celebrating from the get-go and for the first day of fall we celebrated by making our very favorite fall treat, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars.  I actually had to do a search on the blog because I couldn't believe I'd never posted about them before.  Friends, they are so, so good.  They are a Martha Stewart Recipe and the only change I made was to swap out semi-sweet chocolate chips for dark chocolate chips.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars

2 cups flour
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
12 oz. dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda and salt.

In an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until smooth.  Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.  Beat in pumpkin puree (it might look curdled but it's fine).  Mix in dry ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips.  

Spread batter in pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.  Cool completely in pan.  Lift cake from pan, peel off foil and cut into squares (approximately 24 squares). 

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm totally making these. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a festive recipe to make...we are struggling to get fall around here! All I do from 3-9 is drive around from one event to the next...and I am having a hard time getting fall out! I love fall...so I plan to figure it out today! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips