Friday, September 20, 2013

Heirlooms



When Grace was born I bought Bryce a pocket watch with the words inscribed, "Thank you for Grace" on the back.  I really wanted to give him something that would commemorate our first born and something that he would eventually pass down to her.  We have it in a little glass case since it's so pretty but he does actually use it on occasion.  Grace loves checking in with us about the pocket watch and often asks, "So I get to keep it someday?"  She already treasures it!

When Harris was born, I bought Bryce a watch with the words, "Thank you for Harris" inscribed on the back.  Again, with the hope that someday the watch will be passed down to Harris.  


More recently, I was going through some things in my closet and came upon this gorgeous ring that once belonged to my Grandmother.  It's a rather funny thing but I've always loved vintage rings and yet never gave a thought to this beauty that my Mom gave me to keep safe for Grace one day!  I've started wearing it on occasion because I love it and because I think heirlooms should be used and loved.  


I have a few other things that have been given to me from past generations, china and silver come to mind, but I also dream that we will have heirlooms to pass down to the children that they will treasure and love.  I suppose time will tell what those items will be*.  Also, I don't think that something has to be expensive or worth a lot to be an heirloom.  My sister has a cast iron biscuit pan that I think of with envy (Delita is the biscuit maker) that was once our Grandmothers!  It's a true treasure and heirloom but probably not worth a lot monetarily wise.

*I'm hoping that my trench coat will be one of them!  I would love to have some clothing items of my Moms or Grandmothers!



4 comments:

  1. Such lovely ideas. I'm sure your children will cherish these and other things that we can never imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect!!! Mark would be all jeweled up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely ideas indeed. Might as well start building a collection which I could also pass to my future kids. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips