Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Our First Airstream Adventure



This past weekend, we took out our Airstream (we call her The Silver Frog, Silvie for short) for the very first time!  Once we got past that first night we had a wonderful weekend!  Here's the story of our first evening traveling in the Airstream...


As I'm sure it is no surprise to anyone who knows us, it took longer for us to leave home than we anticipated...by hours!  Getting everything in the Airstream and figuring out how to organize took a long time and we had to make lots of trips back and forth!  Fortunately, the children really pitched in and helped, but we were all thankful to get on the road!  We stayed in a relatively local spot at the beach, only a couple hours away, and we arrived before the sun fully set, but by the time we were checked in the sun had completely gone down and it had started pouring rain!  Not exactly ideal for backing into a spot and hooking up!  I'm Bryce's official backer upper helper so I jumped out, fortunately I had a raincoat, and helped him ease into our spot.  He did awesome!

While Bryce hooked everything up, I got started making dinner.  It was already 9:00 and tensions were high (mine).  There might have been some yelling (me) at the children because we were in an enclosed place and they were super excited and very loud.  Have I ever shared that I don't do super well with chaos?  I don't.

We finally ate around 10pm (three tomato spaghetti) and got the children settled down for the night.  Somehow we had managed to survive the first evening - Bryce and I were still talking to each other and I hadn't killed the children.  I counted that as success!

We woke up the next morning and things went smoothly for the next two days.  In fact, we had a great time!  We love Silvie and how easy everything was in regards to cooking, sleeping and generally having a home base.  We had brought our bikes and so were able to explore around a bit and even got to spend Father's Day at the beach.





6 comments:

  1. Looks great! My question: where did y'all get that truck?! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In regards to that comment - you know how I feel about that truck. Funny how as I read the post, I actually felt I was there watching everything. Didn't hear everything tho, so don't worry. Ha. Love the candidness. The photos are terrific. Sounds like the maiden voyage was a success. When's the next outing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Can't wait to see it in person

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite line of your post "Bryce and I were still talking to each other and I hadn't killed the children!!" Funny how trying to hit the road and pack a car and NOT forget everything can do that to you!! I think the name Silvie is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great adventure, and I love the looks of that lighthouse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh please come this way someday!!!!!!! So ridiculously amazing!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips