Monday, May 20, 2013

Parenting


Ever since the children reached five years of age, and then some, I've been amazed at how very hard parenting actually is.  Before five it was so physical and all about meeting basic needs.  I'm absolutely positive that I believed it to be hard, and it was, but in a very different sort of way.  The knowledge that parenting is overwhelming, huge and really, really hard comes in waves and I will go for days, weeks without thinking about it, but then I will be reminded in small and big ways that it can be difficult and that these beautiful people we have been entrusted with are ours to help mold and teach to go out as citizens of the world.  Lately, I can't tell you how many times I've overreacted to a situation and then had to circle back around and talk through it with one/both of the children.  I often have a hard time separating myself from the children and how I might deal with a situation is totally different than how they might because they really are their very own people and not just an extension of me.  It's hard to watch as they navigate through this tricky world of ours and I so often want to jump in and "help."  When in fact I'm learning that it's really something they must learn for themselves even when it's difficult to watch.


And the worry!  It's a constant factor too!  Do they have enough activities?  Friends?  Too many activities?  Too many friends? Are they smart enough?  Personable enough?  Are they respectful?  Are they good, moral people? Do they know the value of friendship, working hard, thinking of others and learning?  It can also be hard to separate those things that our society values but aren't really what is most important to us to teach our children.  Almost every single day I wish I was wiser/smarter/better but I, like most of us, am just doing the best I can and I hope that it's enough for these complicated, unique and lovely people who are our children.


4 comments:

  1. I don't know you, but I am very sure that you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace looks sooo beautiful in the first picture - her hair is incredible! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful sentiment. I think you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN!!! You nailed my feelings exactly! Your such a fantastic mom....you figured it all out..now the rest of us need to! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips