Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Chalkboard Placemats



Grace sets the table every night for dinner at our house and I'm getting ready to start Harris in the rotation as well.  Something that I would like to become second nature to the children is how to properly set a table.  To help them along in this path, I recently made chalkboard placemats.  I bought chalkboard fabric online (I'm told Joanns also has it) and used an old placemat for a pattern.


Harris had a blast helping to "season" the fabric.  I don't know that we really needed to do this part of the process because they are being wiped down every night with water, and therefore lose the seasoning, but he sure did have fun doing it and created a chalk dust nightmare in the house!  Also, we used a chalk pen to outline the various utensils so that we didn't have to start over every time we wiped the placemats down.  If we did vigorous scrubbing of the mats I'm pretty sure the chalk would come off.


 All in all, this was a very easy project and I think that it's been helpful to the children.  As an added bonus we can write fun messages on the placemats if we wish.




1 comment:

 
Blogging tips