Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Picnic and Chicken Potpie Hand-pies


Last night, the children and I had an impromptu picnic by the river.  Bryce was gone for the night and I thought it would be fun to mix things up a bit.  It was short and sweet but it was a good reminder for me that not everything has to be planned, extravagant or "styled" to perfection.  We literally threw our dinner in a picnic basket and headed out!

It did help that I was making very portable Chicken Potpie Turnovers for dinner.  I first made these last fall and the children absolutely adore them.  I'm thinking that they will be perfect for those nights where we are eating early due to a baseball game or even when we are eating on the go.  Also, the children love getting them in their lunchbox!

The original recipe is here, but I've tweaked it a bit.  However, please know that I'm no chef and this is pretty loosey goosey- you might want to start with the original recipe!  I found that starting with a rotisserie chicken was a bit easier and didn't seem to change the taste at all.  I think this is one of those recipes that you can tweak to your personal preference.  Also, I had a bit of a hard time finding frozen empanada dough, but I finally found it in the ethnic section of a larger grocery store.  The recipe says that you get 8 turnovers but I always get 20!  Which is perfect because I freeze the ones that we don't eat!

Chicken Potpie Hand-pies

1 rotisserie chicken*, diced
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
3 sprigs thyme (I've also used a teaspoon dried thyme)
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 small onion, chopped 
1 cup frozen green peas
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 egg white
frozen empanada dough disks, thawed (I get two packages of the Goya brand)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil.  Saute mushrooms until soft, usually about 4 minutes.  Add carrots and onion, and cook until carrots are soft, about 10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add thyme along with peas, chicken and 1 cup of milk, bring to a simmer.

In a small dish, stir together cornstarch and 3 tablespoons cold water.  Add to skillet and stir until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.  Remove from heat.

In a small bowl make an egg wash by lightly beating egg white with 1 tablespoon milk.  

Divide chicken filling among empanada disks.  Fold over disk to create a turnover.  Crimp edges with a fork to seal and lightly brush tops with egg wash.  Bake until crusts are golden brown, 15-20 minutes.  


*I use almost all of the chicken but I usually save some to make chicken salad for lunch



1 comment:

  1. If there is anyone good at "mixing" it up...it would be you! Sounds like the perfect picnic!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips