Friday, March 8, 2013

Creme Brûlée Oatmeal


We woke up to beautiful snow this morning!  As I sit here at the computer I'm gazing at snow steadily falling and covering everything in sight.  It makes me happy.  Creme Brûlée Oatmeal also makes me happy.  The snow reminded me of this favorite recipe because it's a perfect treat on a cold, snowy morning (we often have it on snow days!).  I've seen other recipes that involve making more of a custard with eggs but this one is simple, easy and delicious!  I'm sure there are lots of way to make it and definitely lots of room for individualizing but here's our basic recipe...

Creme Brûlée Oatmeal

1 1/2 cups oats (not instant)
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt

1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon brown sugar

In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil.  Add oats, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and cook 5-8  minutes.  Transfer oats to ramekins and sprinkle with white and brown sugars.  Put under broiler until sugar is hard and crusty*.  Enjoy!


*It's very hot when it comes out of oven, young children should be very careful!


3 comments:

  1. I'm going to make this this weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy. Was this a snow day too? Hope you received lots of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmy!
    Great twist on oatmeal...I love oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips