Monday, March 4, 2013

A Honey (Tasting) Birthday Party



This year, Grace decided to celebrate her birthday with family instead of doing a big birthday party.  She chose honey for her theme since she adores honey on her morning toast and in her (decaffeinated!) tea.  When we do family parties, I try to have a special activity so that it feels different from a regular night at home and we decided that a honey tasting would be a perfect fit for her celebration.  It turned out to be a fun, tasty and informative way to spend an evening!


We bought a honey sampler pack from Williams-Sonoma and then filled in with a few extra types of honey that we had or found at a local food stuffs store.   I used a slate cheese board to label everything, the honey looked so pretty with it's different colors and textures!  In reading up on honey tastings, I found that saltine crackers (or soda crackers) were a nice, bland vehicle for honey.  Also, strawberries really brought out the various flavors in each honey. 


We bought the book, The Life and Times of the Honeybee by Charles Micucci.  It's an extremely informative book and attractive too.  Grace read from the book about each type of honey before we tried that particular type.



Several of us made notes about each honey as we made our way through the honeys.  These are Grace's honey notes.


I had no idea that honeys could vary in taste so much!  We tried some that were vastly different from any type that I've ever tried.  It was so much fun and a delicious way to spend the evening!


Tomorrow, I'll post about dinner and the cake!





2 comments:

  1. What fun! I love honey. You must try Winter White from Savannah Bee Company...one of the best honeys I have ever had!!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please give Grace a hug from me, her friend from Missouri...I love family parties..and I love honey! :)
    Your house is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips