Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Influenza RX Sorbet


Over the past week, one after the other, both children have run fevers and felt like crud.  At these times we always take advantage of pajamas, hot water bottles, blankets and lots of books to help us make it through (Grace got it the worse- she was down for three days!).



For the first time, but not the last, I made Influenza RX Sorbet.  The recipe is in the back of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams At Home by Jeni Britton Bauer, and I've been intrigued ever since I saw it. I love that the ingredients are all ones that are thought to have healing properties and each ingredient brings it's own helpful quality to soothe itchy, sore throats and clogged nasal passages.  And let's be honest, sorbet does a lot for the mental and emotional well being of us all as well.  Am I right?  It's basically love in sorbet form.


Influenza RX Sorbet 
(from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams At Home)

2 cups fresh orange juice (from 5 to 6 oranges)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
One 3oz packet liquid pectin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne*
2 to 4 tablespoons Maker's Mark bourbon (optional)**

Combine the orange and lemon juices, sugar, honey and ginger in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.  Remove from heat.

Add the pectin, cayenne and bourbon, if using.  Pour into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until cold.

Freeze the sorbet just until it is the consistency of very softly whipped cream.  Pack the sorbet into a storage container, press a sheet of parchment directly against the surface  and seal with an airtight lid.  Freeze until firm.  


*I found that the cayenne was too much of a kick for the children (and really, me too).  I would leave it out next time.

**I didn't add the bourbon to the sorbet for the children, but you bet I would for Bryce!


5 comments:

  1. I made the Influenza Sorbet last week! Love it. I live in Columbus, Ohio and have the pleasure of dining in Jeni's scoop shops. They recently changed the name of the Influenza Sorbet to Hot Toddy. I guess some people thought it was a cure for the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about this on another blog too.. i had a sick house a few weeks ago and did not remember about this..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips