Thursday, October 11, 2012

Family Favorite- Savory Cheddar Biscuit Pie


I've been making this Cheddar Biscuit Pie recipe for years and it is one of my families very favorite meals.  Everyone is thrilled when it makes its first appearance come fall because it's comfort food at its finest!  The original recipe came from Martha Stewart Kids and I've adapted it only slightly.  I believe the original recipe called for chicken sausage, but I most often use ground chicken simply because it's usually faster!  Since we like it so much I've doubled the whole recipe because we found that it wasn't enough to feed all four of us.  Also, I always use my cast iron pan so that it can go directly from stovetop into the oven.

Cheddar Biscuit Pie

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
14 tablespoons milk

2 lbs.  ground chicken 
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, cut 1/4 diced
2 celery stalks, cut
2 apples, diced
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 cups chicken stock

Preheat over to 375 degrees. In a bowl combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt.  Use a pastry cutter to cut in shortening until dough resembles coarse meal.  Stir in cheese.  Add milk; sir until just combined.

In ovenproof skillet, cook chicken through.  Remove from pan.  Add onion, carrot and celery to skillet.  Cook for 3 minutes.  Add apple; cook until vegetables and apples soften, about 6 minutes.  Add rest of salt, pepper and thyme.  Add remaining 2 tablespoons flour; cook, stirring 1 minute.  Add stock, scraping bottom of pan.  Pour chicken back in, stir.  Form biscuits from dough and put on chicken mixture.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes.  Enjoy!

P.S.  I've made this so many times and have made plenty of mistakes.  Last night I forgot to add the baking powder until after I had added the milk!  It didn't matter a bit.  Also, I've forgotten to take out the chicken after cooking it.  Again, it didn't matter a bit!  In other words, I think the pie is pretty foolproof and not at all precise!


1 comment:

  1. Putting it on our list of recipes to try. It's nice to be using the oven more. Cozy and good warm smells. So welcome with the cooler weather here.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips